MnDOT is interested in hearing what you think about its efforts to communicate about the St. Croix Crossing project, as well as your general thoughts about the project. We are using a short survey that is anonymous and takes only a few minutes to complete. We appreciate your input. The survey will remain open until March 25, 2018.
St. Croix Crossing final work and mitigation
Although the Hwy 36 St. Croix river crossing opened to traffic on Wed, Aug. 2, 2017, additional work remains to complete the project.
Construction on related projects
Stillwater Lift Bridge Project
Aug. 2017 to June 2019
With the new St. Croix Crossing bridge opened to traffic, the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge conversion project has begun.
The bridge, spanning the St. Croix River, will be converted to a bicycle/pedestrian crossing and will also become part of a five-mile “loop trail” system connecting the new river bridge with the historic bridge. The Lift Bridge will continue to operate to allow boat navigation beneath.
Hwy 95 in Stillwater
Construction of the upper loop trail along Hwy 95 north of the new St. Croix Crossing will begin in Spring 2018. Construction will include adding new drainage structures beneath Hwy 95 near the Oasis Café’.
Thu, April 26 to early May; 9 a.m.-3 p.m. daily during weekdays
- Hwy 95 will have single lane traffic controlled by flaggers between Hwy 36 and Nelson St. in Stillwater. Expect minor delays.
- Hwy 95 closed from north of Hwy 36 to Nelson St.
- Downtown Stillwater from Hwy 36 Detour: North on Co. Rd. 15 (Manning Ave.), east on 75th St. (Co. Rd. 12). 75th St. becomes Myrtle Ave. as it nears downtown Stillwater.
- Hwy 95 north of Stillwater from Hwy 36 Detour: North on Co. Rd. 15 (Manning Ave.), east on Hwy 96 to Hwy 95 north of Stillwater.
- View the Detour Map (PDF)
Note: Access will be maintained at all times to the Oasis Café and St. Croix Boat and Packet from southbound Hwy 95.
Hwy 95 just north of Hwy 36 will remain open to Sunnyside Marina ONLY
Project Dedication Ceremony
A celebration for the completion of the St. Croix Crossing Bridge project was held Aug. 2. Thanks to all who were able to join us in-person for this celebration. We are deeply grateful to all who helped achieve this monumental project.
- No wake zone lifted from St. Croix River at St. Croix Crossing (Sept. 28, 2017)
- Frequently Asked Questions: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 21, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing no-wake zone extended for safety purposes (Aug. 17, 2017)
- What's Next: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 7, 2017)
- Minnesota, Wisconsin to open new St. Croix Crossing project to traffic at 8 p.m. Aug. 2 (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing opens after decades of debate, development (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix River Crossing ribbon cutting ceremony set for Wednesday, Aug. 2 (June 15, 2017)
- Final construction season begins at St. Croix Crossing (May 30, 2017)
- Lane closures on Highway 95 at Highway 36 (Mar. 29, 2017)
- Final closure pour complete (Feb. 10, 2017)
- Bridge construction progress maps
Video series: Building the St. Croix Crossing
Want a closer look at St. Croix Crossing construction? Check out our video series to discover more about the major stages of bridge construction, from laying the bridge foundations below the water to making the finishing touches on the bridge.
- In the first video, learn how crews constructed the bridge foundation below the water.
- In the second video, find out how the bridge piers and crossbeams were constructed
- In the third video, see how crews assembled the bridge deck.
- The fourth video will give you a glimpse of how the pier towers and stay cables were erected.
- The fifth video (below) takes a look at the finishing touches on the bridge, including chip sealing and painting
Visit our YouTube channel to view the entire video series!