Motorists urged to use caution on highways during Labor Day weekend, beginning of school year
ST. PAUL, Minn. – With the last big weekend of summer travel coming up, the Minnesota Department of Transportation urges motorists to use extra caution during the Labor Day weekend.
Motorists are also asked to be alert for pedestrians and bicyclists as many children return to school around the state.
“This is a busy travel time as families enjoy one more weekend before the start of school,” said Commissioner Charlie Zelle. “Although most road construction is shut down over the Labor Day holiday, there are still highway work zones in place. Drive safely through the work zones and make it a safe weekend for everyone.”
Motorists may encounter bypasses, lane closures and detours. MnDOT recommends that motorists be prepared for slower moving traffic, think about using alternate routes, and call 5-1-1 or go to 511mn.org to get information about road construction detours.
Highway projects that may affect weekend travel Aug. 31-Sept. 3 include:
- I-35W@94 Downtown to Crosstown – Interstate 35W north to I-94 west ramp is closed. I-94 east to I-35W south ramp is closed.
- I-94 west – Chicago Avenue to Nicollet Avenue is reduced to two lanes.
- I-35W north is reduced to three lanes – 43rd Street to I-94 in Minneapolis.
- I-35W south is reduced to two lanes – I-94 to 43rd Street in Minneapolis.
- I-35W north access to downtown (Fifth Avenue, 11th and East Grant streets) is closed.
- Highway 169 Belle Plaine, Jordan – single lane between Highway 19 and Highway 282.
- Highway 10, Elk River bridge – Eastbound Highway 10 reduced to single lane.
- Highway 10, Clear Lake to Big Lake – Single-lane traffic on westbound lanes, both directions.
- Highway 4, Lake Henry – Two detours, one for cars and one for large vehicles.
- Highway 71 is closed between Highway 23 and just north of Highway 9; for detours see website.
- Highway 238 Albany – Road closed north of Railroad Avenue, short detour around North Lake.
- Highways 28, 29, 104 in Glenwood – Highway 28/Minnesota Avenue East closed, detour in place.
- I-94, Highway 79 to Highway 114 – Single-lane traffic on eastbound lanes, both directions.
- I-94, Lake Latoka bridge replacement – Single-lane traffic on eastbound lanes, both directions.
- I-35 Snake River – Single lane in each direction near Pine City.
- Highway 61 Two Harbors – Single lane in each direction.
- Highway 1 Finland to north of Isabella – Single lane in each direction.
- Highway 92, Bagley – Detour in place.
- Highway 59 south of Detroit Lakes – Detour in place.
- Highway 2, Kennedy Bridge – Single-lane traffic, both directions.
- Highway 75 Crookston – Road closed between Highway 2 and County Road 9, detour in place.
- I-35 Owatonna – Single lane in each direction, traffic delays.
- I-35 Faribault – Single lane in each direction, expect significant traffic delays.
- Highway 169, St. Peter to Le Sueur – Single lane in each direction.
- Highway 71 North from Willmar to New London – Detour.
- Highway 14, New Ulm – Detour.
- Highway 14 Mankato – Single lane westbound traffic.
MnDOT urges motorists to be attentive, drive with caution, slowdown in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
For a complete list of projects by highway or region, visit mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html. Motorists can stay informed about projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media, as well as by signing up for email updates for major projects at mndot.gov/emailupdates.