UPDATE: Hwy 109 reopening delayed until Sept. 10
September 7, 2018 Update - Another week with rain and another delay - The contractor informed us again that Highway 109 will not open to traffic today (Friday, Aug. 31). The expected opening has been moved to late in the day Monday, Sept. 10.
--- Original Release---
MANKATO, Minn. – Weather permitting, Highway 109 from Wells to Alden is expected to open to traffic Friday, Aug. 31 and the detour removed.
Finishing work throughout the project will continue under traffic. Motorists are advised to use caution where there are workers.
Highway 109 has been under construction since May 7 and motorists detoured to Highway 22.
The ten miles of Highway 109 construction work included:
- Resurfacing the existing pavement
- Replacing more than 20 culverts
- Reconstructing pedestrian ramps to meet American Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines
- Extending pavement in some areas for wider paved shoulders
- Utility work in Wells and Alden
Mathy Construction of Onalaska, WI, was awarded the project with a bid of $5,800,000.
For real-time traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.